Saturday, August 15, 2009

What a difference a year makes

Last weekend I ran in the Hobo Run 10K in my hometown of Britt, Iowa. Now you wouldn't think it would mean that much but it was actually very signifigant to me. It was a year ago that I first began running and it was actually when I was home visiting my parents that I decided to try running. I ran in high school when I was in sports but it had been many years since so I wasn't sure if I'd make it past the high school just a couple blocks away.

I set out to run the same path we did in gym class which was out towards, what we called the "T" intersection about a mile away. I made it out there and thought to myself "I made it and I didn't die" so I decided to keep going to see how far I could go and to my surprise I made it almost another mile. When I came up on that next intersection I felt like I'd won the Boston Marathon. I had the biggest smile on my face and when I got back to the house I called my best friend to tell her of my achievement.

It's now a year later and I've run not only a 10K, two in fact but I just did my first half marathon. When I tell people that I started running they always tell me there's no way they could run. I just think back to that day I ran to the "T" and smile because I didn't think I could make it either but I did!!!

No comments: