Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Just Say "Thank You"

I know many of us hesitate to accept compliments about ourselves. We do everything we can to outright deflect or reject them. Yet taking the compliment or acknowledging our successes can feel so good. It can help us feel better about ourselves, improve our self-image and self-confidence, and help us feel happiness or joy.

This is definitely true during weight loss as I continue to drop the weight people are very complimentary and gracious about telling me how great I look and what an inspiration I am to them to make a change. It’s taken a while but I’m learning to accept the compliments and turn them into motivation to keep achieving my goals.

The best compliment came the other day from a store clerk downtown and she didn’t even realize she’d just given me the biggest compliment of my life. I had seen a cute summer dress in a fashion magazine and as I walked by the store I thought I’d stop in to see if they had it available. The woman greeted me at the front of the store and asked if she could assist and I told about the dress….now here’s the good part. She said “you need the regular sizes and that store is down the street” the store I was in was for plus size. I could have hugged her right there. I walked out of the store with the biggest smile on my face.

The morale of the story is to learn to accept the compliments no matter why it’s given you deserve it!

No comments: